Monday, May 21, 2007

24:00

I ended up running an 8 minute mile pace for my race and finishing with a time of 24:00. It was quite a fun race. 2 of the 3 miles were on a bike path along a river. The path was very scenic. Finishing along with 2 boys and a girl that couldn't have been older than 10 was somewhat humbling though.

Our 5k happened to be the last 3 miles of the half and full marathons that were being run at the same time as our race.
We drove two guys back to the starting line after the race and saw the first few runners from the half marathon. One was a girl about our age. It was an hour after we had all started (5k, half and full marathon) so we figured that they were running a 6 min mile pace. I barely ran that pace for 3 miles when I was in high school.

Off the topic of running:
Mel and I are keeping busy working. We both pretty much don't like our jobs a whole lot. Mel doesn't like hers because of the people she works for. To make a long story short, her small company was bought out by a big company. The big company is out of Phoenix and they like to bully the small company. They actually all really like Mel, but still feel the need to bully. I don't love my job because I have to work with the general public. Anyone who as ever worked in a public service related job will understand why this is less than desirable.

We are both contemplating going back to school. I guess that I should say that I am going back to school for sure. I didn't get into pharmacy school this year (no, Chris, not even Kansas), so my plan now is to try again early next fall. My backup plan is to get a masters degree in civil engineering. I am going to start prerequisites in July. I'll have to take about a year of classes, but then I'll be able to enter a masters program. Mel's work will pay for school if it is job related, so she thinks that she might take advantage. She would love to go to school for anything graphic design related. Her ultimate dream is to have her own graphic design business and teach at a local college (and be a mom of course).

We're looking toward a fun filled summer. We might go to Hawaii in August. We figure that now is the best time since we don't have kids yet. Also, we're lucky enough to have mountains close to our apartment. It only takes about 20 minutes to get up to some beautiful places to hike. We try to go up every week. We also spend our time watching the Office, Prison Break, and Lost. Who knows what we're going to do after this week?! The Office season finale was last week and Lost's is this week.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Good job on your race!
I think our top three fav. shows are Lost, Prison Break, and The Office! We hardly know anyone who watched Prison Break, but we LOVE it!

Topher said...

Nice job. That's an awesome time for your first race. Too bad about pharm school. KU has a civil engineering program, too, just so you know, but I know you'll go where you need to be.

We love LOST, and weren't as big of Office fans this season as past seasons. The finale was hillarious, though, especially the very last scene with Ryan and Kelly. Since we're an hour/two hours earlier than the rest of the family, we'll know how LOST ends first. I don't think John Locke will die with three seasons left, but who knows what'll happen.

Pop said...

I checked the race website and see that your results were great. 5th in your age division for males in the 5K and 71st out of 671 for all 5k runners. That's great! Also looked at your finish picture on Zazoosh. You beat that little shaver in the background! But you can't compare yourself with 10 year olds or 17 years olds!

Tom said...

I just checked Boise State they don't have a Civil Engineering program, but they do have a blue football field no other place you go to could say that!