Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Getting Old

I ran cross-country in high school. I started running because I had a friend in cross country, Ryan Allen, and because I wanted to get into shape in order to make the basketball team. I ended up loving to run. I was never a star runner or even on the varsity team, but I was consistently in the front of the pack on the JV team. During the cross country season, we had about 4 weeks to get ready for the first meet of the season. In high school, this worked out to be just enough time to get in relatively good shape for the meet.

Fast forward 10 years. I used this same logic in scheduling my first race. I neglected the fact that in high school you are always running around (even when you're not in sports) with friends doing active things. I was already in pretty good shape. The past 3 weeks I have learned what a shin splint feels like. I have had sore knees and a sore achilles tendon. In high school, I thought I was the bionic man because I would never get injured. I have to also mention that I weigh 40 lbs more than I did in high school. As my brother-in-law Rob put it, it's almost like carrying around (or running with) a 45 lb bench press plate. So, this is what it feels like to get old.

The good news is that I am starting to feel healthier and my legs aren't feeling quite so injured. I've had to become strict when it comes to warming up, cooling down, and stretching. I ran 3 miles today and I could feel improvements in my endurance.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Do you remember what your best race time was in highschool? And do you have a goal time for your upcoming 5k?
Well, it sounds like you are doing great with your training!

Topher said...

You should totally read this book I just finished the other day called "Ultra Marathon Man" by Dean Karnazes. He's the guy who ran 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days. I thought that was an incredible feat, but the book was written before he did that. I'm even more inspired now to run after reading what he did. Your mom thinks we're all crazy, but I bet if she read the book she'd think we were a bunch of panzies. READ IT.

Jenny said...

Well, Davis, I'll never forget you, the bionic man, jumping rope in your shorts to the soundtrack of Rocky on our back patio. You guys really did think you were invincible! Too bad Mel can't see video of that hilarious stuff.