Sunday, May 13, 2007

Who doesn't love a good challenge?

I have started this blog in order to keep my family and friends updated on my progress in training for the 2007 St. George Marathon and also updated on my life in general. So, first and foremost, some St. George marathon facts:

- 5th largest marathon in the United States
- Qualifier for the Boston Marathon
- Every school bus in the area is used to transport the 6,700 runners to the starting line
- Included as one of Runner's World 10 most scenic marathons
- Over 4,250 gallons of water and 1,960 gallons of Gatorade are consumed (which equals about 1 gallon of fluid per runner)

I came up with the crazy idea to run this marathon about 3 weeks ago and while I was submitting my lottery application I half-jokingly sent off an email inviting my brother and sisters. It worked out that my brother Joel and sisters Susan and Emily decided to run it with me. I am excited to run it with them and with other family members cheering us on from the sidelines.

My first preparatory race of the year (of the past 10 years) will be in Ogden, UT on this coming Saturday (my birthday). It is a 5k that I will be running with my wife Mel. I plan to run some other 5k's, a couple triathlons, and a half marathon in preparation for the big day. My "official" training regime, as Mel would say, begins the first week of June. I have been running 2 -4 miles per day for the past 3 weeks and plan on keeping this up until June.

So, with 145 days, 8 hours, and 44 seconds until the race, I've got my work cut out for me.

5 comments:

Topher said...

awesome. Jenny didn't tell me she was going, though. She is in trouble!

A.Lee said...

Hooray! I am so excited for you. I was thinking I should take up running again, but just around the block. I'll be waiting to hear the updates and progress....

Emily said...

So glad you started a blog! I'm excited to hear about your progress and to hear about other stuff in your life too! Pretty soon every person in our family will have a blog. We just need Todd (when he gets back from NY), Joel and mom or dad.

Susan said...

Looking forward to this adventure with you. Good luck on the run this weekend!

Jenny said...

Yeah, don't forget to blog about other things in your life too. We love to hear how you and Mel are doing!